"" Requiem of the mind: One plus one equals four?

Monday, September 12, 2005

One plus one equals four?

I started classes on thursday. My first class of the year was my math class. I use to be good at math then my marks went way down in high school. This was mostly likly caused by my lack of studying and the harder course material. Back to the math class. I get into the class about 5-10 minutes early (as I like to do. It gives me time to relax a bit and maybe read a few pages in my latest book.... Terry Pratchett's The Light Fantastic). It clock slowly gets to 8:30 and the class is around 3/4 full. I put my book away and wait for my Prof. to show up. 8:40.....8:50...some people leave...9:00...everyone leaves. So now I have 2 and a half hours until my next class. I walk around the building on campus for awhile. I take a trip to the finacial desk to get my loan all worked out but see a sign that says "Go to the South Gym". I figure it would take 2 hours at least to get this done so i figured id wait until friday or monday. After about the 2 hour walk finding out my ID card only works for the UNIX labs and not the window labs (Oh and my UNIX password has changed so i need that fixed). I get to my class and wait. The prof walks in and starts with this speach "This is a hard class and if you dont need it to graduate it is highly recommended you do not take it". If it was anyone else giving this speach I might have been worried. I had this Prof. last year and he was a great teacher and made the subject very enjoyable so I think I'll do good.

Friday

My first class friday morning is a Computer Organization class. I'm sure I will enjoy it but I get nervous when I'm told there is some labs in the year that you can not miss and they do not tell you what the dates are. My second class was the math class again (if you dont recall from the paragraph up top) which started off nice since I was able to remember the topics she was talking about. My next class was a god sent. It was in the same room and right after my math. It seems like an easier course which I am so greatful for. My classes this fall are killer and any course where i think i can do really well in im greatful for. My last class of the day almost made my cry. I need 6 more science credits for my degree so I thought I would try this course. When I got in there all the Prof's looked like nice people who were keen on teaching. I was rather quickly told about the 60% failure rate. One of those look to your left, look to your right 2 of you will not pass this course situations. I stayed for the class and tried to take notes but the Prof went to fast and there was a group sigh everytime he changed the slide. I withdrew from the class this morning.

Monday

I woke up 20 minutes before my alarm and ran to the bathroom. 2-3 minutes later I return to my bed and relax for a bit before the alarm goes off. I get ready for classes quicker then I usually do so I had a few minutes to log onto my favorite MMORPG and played for a bit. I left for class and noticed it was a little warmer then previous days and that I was hearing a strange noise in my ear. I went back inside and removed the shaving cream from the inside of my ear.
Classes started the as friday but just as enjoyable. My CS class passed the same as friday and still seems enjoyable, the same follows for my math.

Now for why the title of this entry is called "One plus one equals four". In my last class of the day I was quietly sitting in class taking notes (as any good student should do) and she asks us a question. The question was if A is 4 and B is 2. If we give up A how many more be can we get. Of course the answer is 2 more B. Then she threw a curve ball (sarcasm) how many B's must be given up to get an A. Now i have sat through many classes and answered many teachers questions, sure I have not always had the right answer but what I heard next blew my mind. Not one person said 2, not 10 people, in fact no one said 2. Over half the class said 4. Thats right 4. I was just sitting there and im sure my jaw was just hanging. I could not believe what I heard. I thought to myself this must be what a elementry school teacher hears all the time, but elementry school was 7 years ago (or more). She looked as dumbfounded as I must have. She asked again and got the same answer, only more people said 4 this time. I was about to pick up my books and leave but im glad I did not. I heard one person say 2. Everyone looked at this person and I sighed in relief that there was someone in the class who was braver then myself and knew the answer. The Prof said it was correct and carried on.

Anyways thats it for the past few days of my life. If this class carries on this way I might have to write a book.

2 Comments:

At 11:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I hate that feeling when nobody is saying the obvious answer. What's worse is when you hear the idiotic question, especially for me at this (relatively) later stage of academia. People in crazy advanced math/CS courses going, "Hey, what's that funny looking Z thing?" *silence* "Errr... that's the symbol used to represent a summation. You should have seen this in about a billion of your classes before this one."

 
At 12:55 PM, Blogger Requiem said...

I have another arguement about that class again but I wont put it on the main page. Today in class the prof asked about things that would change supply and i said competition. the prof said no that would affect price. No less then 5 seconds later did the prof. say *gets his notes* number of suppliers. To which a guy in front of me said "Isn't competition" and she said yes. (grumbles)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home